A drawstring backpack is the perfect way to store coloring books, toys, and any other necessities. This adorable backpack features our Dreamworks Trolls fabric, available at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores.
Supplies and Tools:
- 1/2 yd. DreamWorks Trolls- Poppy Truce Colors Are Beautiful fabric
- 1/2 yd. coordinating fabric
- 1/4 yd. Fun Fur
- 4 yd. of cording
- Fabric glue (permanent)
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing Machine
- Cut two each 14″ x 18″ from Trolls = bag and coordinating fabric = lining.
- Cut cording into two 2 yd. pieces.
- Mark 1” down from the top on each side of bag and lining fabric,and 1-1/2” down from the first mark.
- Place the bag pieces’ right sides together, stitch down each side,leaving the 1-1/2″ mark open, press seams open and turn right sideout (see diagram below).
- Topstitch 1/4″ in around the opening = case opening. Repeat steps3 – 5 for the lining.
- Place the bag and lining right sides together, matching up theseams, pin around the top. Stitch 1/4″ down from the top edge, turnand press.
- Topstitch 1/2″ down from the top edge and just below the casing openingaround perimeter (see diagram).
- Pin a safety pin onto the end of cording, start on the left, thread itthrough the back case opening and back through the front case openingso that both ends of the cording are on the left side. Repeat with theother piece of cording, but start from the right.
- Turn bag inside out place straps on the inside of your bag, pin the 2ends of the cording to the bottom corners of the bag and stitch acrossbottom. Turn right side out and press.
- Mark the direction of the nap of the fur on the backside of fabric. Tracetwo 11” x 3-1/4″ rectangles on the fabric. Using the Accent diagram as aguide (see diagram), trace the pattern in the rectangles making sure thatthe nap is pointed up.
- Cut the pattern out: Cut only the backing and not the fur pile. With thewrong side of the fabric facing up, slide the bottom blade of the scissors up next to the backing. Cut with short snips, being careful to cut just the backing.
- Glue the two fur pieces together and let dry = Fur Hair.
- Set the sewing machine at a longer stitch length. Line up the raw edge ofthe Fur Hair with the front of the bag top and stitch in place
Skill Level: Some experience necessary
Approximate Crafting Time: 1-2 Hours