If playing with Shopkins™ characters makes you hungry, then this half-apron project is the perfect project for you! Take a break from playing with your Shopkins™ and whip up something in your kitchen, all the while staying protected from food splatter. Our Shopkins™ fabric is available at JoAnn Fabric and Craft Stores and Joann.com.
Supplies & Tools:
- 3/4 yd. Shopkins Bags of Fun cotton fabric
- 1/2 yd. coordinating cotton fabric
- Disappearing marker
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
Sew using 1/4″ seam allowance unless otherwise indicated.
- Cut one 22” x 16” rectangle from the Shopkins™ fabric – apron base
- Cut one 22” x 7” rectangle from the Shopkins™ fabric – pocket
- Cut two 30” x 5” strips from the coordinating fabric – ties
- Cut one 22” x 5” strip from the coordinating fabric – waistband
- Cut one 22” x 2 ½” strip from the coordinating fabric – pocket binding
- Fold one long end of the pocket binding over 1/2″ and press. Fold the binding in half and press in place.
- Fold the binding over the raw edge of the top of the pocket with the crease on the front side and pin in place. Using a decorative stitch, topstitch the in binding in place.
- Lay the pocket right side up and place the apron base right side up on top of the pocket (fabric is directional). Pin in place and stitch 1/4″ up from the bottom raw edge.
- Fold the pocket over to the right side of the apron base and press in place (notice both prints are facing the same direction).
- Draw a vertical line 7” over from each side of the pocket. Topstitch over the lines to create three separate pockets.
- Fold the both sides of the apron over 1/2″ and topstitch in place.
- Fold both sides of the waistband in 1/2″ and press. Fold one long end up 1/2″, press, fold in half and press in place.
- Fold the waistband over the raw edge of the top of the apron base with the crease on the front side, pin in place, using a decorative topstitch the waistband in place.
- Fold the ties in half lengthwise right sides together and press. Sew across the short ends and down the length of the ties, clip corners, turn and press.
- Tuck the raw edges of the ties inside the waistband opening 1-1/2” and stitch the ties to the waistband.
Skill Level: Some experience necessary
Approximate Crafting Time: 1-2 Hours