Few articles are as comfortable and versatile as leggings. Now, with our NEW Shopkins™ fabric your child can wear their favorite Shopkins™ characters, while playing with them! Fabric available at JoAnn Fabric and Craft Stores and Joann.com.
- 3/4 yd. of Shopkins™ knit/jersey fabric for child size 6
- 1 yd. of elastic 1” wide
- Your leggings
- Trace paper
- Curve ruler
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
Tip: You will need to measure the leggings to determine how much fabric you will need.
Use the zigzag stitch or stretch stitch to give the seams stretch so the thread won’t break.
- Fold leggings in half and trace the pattern onto the trace paper (see diagram). Cut out the pattern.
- Fold the fabric in half wrong sides together, place pattern on fabric on the fold line and pin in place. Cut out the pattern piece (legging). Repeat for the other leg.
- Fold the bottom edge of the leggings up 1/2″ and stitch in place.
- Fold each of the legging pieces in half, right sides together and sew the inseam with a 1/2” seam allowance.
- Turn one leg piece right side out and place it inside the other so that they are right sides together. Match up the leg seams, pin the crotch seam and sew using a 1/2″ seam allowance
- Turn the leggings right side out and measure the child’s waist and cut a piece of elastic 2” smaller that the measurement.
- Butt the ends of the elastic together and stitch them together (narrow wide zigzag stitch).
- Mark the elastic and the top of the leggings in quarters and pin the elastic to the top inside edge of the leggings, matching the quarter marks. Sew the elastic in place while stretching the fabric slightly to match the elastic.
- Turn the elastic down covering the elastic with the waistline seam and stitch along the lower edge.
Skill Level: Some experience necessary
Approximate Crafting Time: 1-2 Hours