- 1/2 yd. Minnie With Glasses cotton fabric
- 2 yds. Sparkle tulle fabric
- 3/4 yd. Soft elastic 2″ width to match
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
Notes: 1/2″ seam allowance unless otherwise indicated.
Width of fabric = WOF
- Cut an 8″ x WOF strip of fabric from the Minnie With Glasses – ruffle strip.
- Cut four 3-1/2″ x 72″ strips of fabric from the tulle – underlay.
- Cut one 20″ strip of elastic for the waistband.
- Serger/zigzag the bottom of the ruffle strip. Press the bottom of the ruffle strip over 1/2″ and hem.
- Sew two long basting stitches 1/2″ apart along the top edge of the ruffle strip. Gather fabric evenly until the ruffle is the same width as the waistband strip. Repeat for the underlay with the exception of gathering the fabric to the length of the bottom of the ruffle strip.
- Place the raw edges of the ruffle strip right sides together and stitch in place – skirt panel.
- Pin the underlay to the wrong side of the skirt panel and topstitch in place along the edge of the hem.
- Overlap the waistband elastic 1″ and sew together.
- Divide and mark the elastic and skirt panel at 1/4″, 1/2″, and 3/4″ points.
- Line up the marks and pin the elastic to the skirt panel to evenly distribute the skirt fabric.
- Set the sewing machine to a stretch stitch and sew the elastic to the skirt panel while stretching the elastic band to match the skirt width. Press.
Skill Level: Some experience necessary
Approximate Crafting Time: 1-2 Hours