There’s nothing more fun than watching your child play happily with Shopkins™ characters. However, stepping on them in the middle of the night, or finding them scattered around the house can be less than fun. Enter this DIY Wall Organizer – the perfect way to sort and organize your Shopkins™ toys! This project is simple and super functional. Supplies available at JoAnn Fabric and Craft Stores and Joann.com.
- 1 Shopkins™ cotton panel
- 2 pks Stretcher Bars 28” x .75”
- 1/4 yd. Vinyl clear heavy weight
- Scotch tape
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
Tip: Place some Scotch tape along the bottom of the presser foot and leave a gap where the needle goes through. Place tape along the bottom plate of the sewing machine right next to the feed dogs, but not covering them. It helps the vinyl glide through and not stick to the metal plate either.
- Cut the top border off of the top of the panel. Fold the sides in 1/4″ and press. Fold the strips in half lengthwise, press, open the fold and fold the raw edges into the crease press and fold in half and press – binding.
- Cut one strip of vinyl 35” x 4” – pocket.
- Stitch the binding to the top edge of the vinyl strips.
- To make the 4” pocket start on the left side, measure 2″ from the left edge and mark with Blue mark. Measure over 1” and mark with Blue mark. Measured over 2” and mark with Red mark. Continued across the bottom edge of the vinyl (see diagram)
- To make the inverted pleats bring the two blue marks together, finger press flat and pin (see diagram).
- Align the pocket at the bottom of the design on the panel and sew in place.
- Assemble the stretcher bars to create a 28” square.
- Place the panel right side down on your work surface and center the stretcher bar on the panel. Fold the fabric over to the back of the stretcher bar and staple in place. Trim the fabric close to the wood surface and your done!
Skill Level: Some experience necessary
Approximate Crafting Time: 3-5 hours